Charging battery suspected in Armstrong Creek blaze

February 19, 2024 8:56 am in by
A home was badly damaged in a blaze that may have been sparked by a charging battery (Matt Venuto - Facebook)

Police suspect a charging battery could be responsible for a fire at Armstrong Creek that’s left a home badly damaged.

CFA and FRV crews were called to Rutherford Grove at around 7.30pm on Sunday after reports of smoke issuing from the premises.

Local residents were attempting to tackle the flames with garden hoses when emergency services arrived on the scene.

Article continues after this ad

Firefighters wearing breathing equipment tackled the flames from the inside as the fire spread through the roof.

At one stage a community information message was issued alerting people nearby to the likelihood of smoke in the area.

One person was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation but did not require hospitalisation.

The incident was brought under control at 8.19pm and declared safe at 8.57pm.

The cause of the blaze is under investigation but police suspect a battery left on charge was to blame.

Article continues after this ad

Experts say rechargable Lithium-ion batteries are one of Australia’s fastest-growing fire risks.

Overheating, overcharging, crushing and piercing them are known causes of battery fires, along with exposure to extreme temperatures, using non-compliant charging equipment (including incorrevct cables) and short-circuits.

Dropped, cracked and punctured Lithium-ion batteries are also prone to catching fire.

Tips to help rechargable battery fires

  • Do not overcharge batteries. Disconnect power cables when fully charged
  • Do not leave devices in parked vehicles where they can heat up quickly
  • Never expose Lithium-ion batteries to water
  • Only use chargers supplied with the device, or third-party chargers that are certified with the
  • Australian Standards Regulatory Compliance Mark
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
  • Only plug in one device per outlet
  • Choose an appropriate place for charging, such as a bathroom or laundry, where it may be more difficult for a fire to spread
  • Keep chargers off soft furnishings such as beds, sofas, pillows, carpet, clothing and paper
  • Keep Lithium-ion batteries out of direct sunlight
Article continues after this ad

Source: CFA/RACV/NSW Fire and Rescue