There are no trains on the Geelong line this morning as rail workers union takes industrial action over pay and conditions.
Trains are expected to be back on track around 8:00am but V/Line is warning of delays and cancellations across the state for several hours.
There will be some replacement coaches operating throughout the network, but V/Line CEO Matt Carrick says they’ll be limited and locals heading to Melbourne are being urged to stay at home or delay their trip.
“We recommend that passengers check our website to work out what their local details would be,” he said.
Today’s action comes despite assurances from Mr Carrick that an agreement was struck last week between the regional transport operator and employees.
“We have settled the claims and we have come up with a sensible outcome that is fair, that is workable, and is affordable,” he said.
The Rail Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) continues to warn of further stoppages due to industrial action over the month, the next being planned for Friday, February 16.
“V/Line has been notified of four planned work stoppages over the next fortnight, and these stoppages will continue unless there is a breakthrough in negotiations,” RTBU Secretary Vik Sharma said.
“These industrial actions will regrettably impact regional commuters and will cause significant disruptions to services on those days.
“The RTBU has been trying to negotiate with V/Line management since June last year, and workers have been taking industrial action since December.”
Mr Sharma says the state government are at fault for the shutdowns, who he says should intervene to resolve it.
“If anyone is to be blamed for these strikes, it is the Allan Labor Government, which has forgotten about the regional workers,” he said.