Advertisement

Veteran Panthers to go again

February 18, 2026 10:25 am in by
Dylan Witney is among a number of Bell Post Hill veterans extending their careers into 2026. (Image: Jason Borys/Pixled Sports Media)

A group of Bell Post Hill greats will extend their careers for another season as the Panthers chase a first GDFNL premiership in nine years.

Coach Ash Witney has confirmed Caleb Bacely, Tim Barton, Nick Costello and reigning best-and-fairest Dyl Witney have all committed to playing in 2026.

He’s also unveiled a trio of recruits seven weeks out from the Round 1 meeting against Geelong West, with Giant Tannar Stone and Lara youngsters Banjo Hickey and Riley Dixon calling Myers Reserve home.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

Witney says after a preliminary final exit last year, the veteran quartet are keen to take the next couple of steps.

“That was the main driver for those boys to go around again,” he said.

“A few recruits that we’ve got over the line as well with Brock (Carter) and ‘Chopper’ (David Handley), Tanner Stone, Banjo Hickey, and Riley Dixon.

“Getting those guys in makes them probably go a little bit harder, and you can go around the one extra year.

“They were umming and ahing a little bit at the back end of the year, but they’ve jumped on board, and they’re ready to go.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

“They’re all back in the swing of it and going well.”

GDFNL: COMINGS & GOINGS

Witney says he’s been impressed by Stone, who had senior experience in the GFNL with Geelong West and the Hampden League before spending the last two years with the GDFNL Giants.

“He’s on a bit of a night course at the moment, but he’s still making up all the sessions, Witney said.

“If he can’t get down to the club, he’s doing his own running sessions. He’s fully committed and locked in.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

“We’ve had a fair bit of match sim stuff we’ve been doing, and he’s been one of the standouts.

“He’ll go through the midfield, and a little bit of pressure forward as well.

“He’s pretty ferocious in his attack on the footy and also the opposition. So he’ll add another string to our bow.”

The return of Carter, who has experience at SANFL level since last playing with the Panthers, and the arrival of Dixon provide a welcome boost to Bell Post Hill’s big man department.

“We’ve probably blossomed that area massively with having two blokes over 200 centimetres on our side,” Witney said

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

“It’ll look a little bit different for us around stoppage clearances; we’ll probably set up a little bit differently, having Brock and Riley in there.

“And then forward, our entries will probably look a little bit different, too.”

Clancy Mackay, who has joined incoming Bellarine club Surf Coast, is the only player to depart that played any significant senior football in 2025.

While defensive great Beau McNamara will be what Witney has labelled “break in case of emergency”.

The Panthers have practice matches scheduled against Roxburgh Park (home) and Bungaree (away) on March 21 and 28, respectively, before facing Geelong West at West Oval to open the new season on April 11.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

X: @krockfootball

Advertisement