South strangles Towners

June 8, 2024 7:50 pm in by
South Barwon captain Matt Caldow leads his team off Elderslie Reserve.

South Barwon held Newtown & Chilwell to just one goal in the opening three quarters, recording a comprehensive 73-point win at Elderslie Reserve, 17.10 (112) to 5.9 (39).

In what was expected to be a tighter contest, with both teams coming into the contest with four wins, the Swans didn’t allow the Eagles’ forwards any freedom inside forward 50.

Coach Mark Neeld – who spent time coaching from the K rock commentary box – was impressed with the “ruthless” nature of the reigning grand finalists’ performance.

Article continues after this ad

“We were ruthless for three quarters, three-and-a-half quarters, which is really good,” he said.

“I don’t think you ever drive to a game with an idea of what the scoreboard would say.

“We’re not halfway through the season yet, and it’s still about – for us – developing, over time, a style of play.

“We started that last year. We’ve had an injection – if that was even possible – of some younger players.

“I think there were eight or nine of those players today well under ten games of experience.

Article continues after this ad

“So, I think we need to be conscious of that and encourage them to do whatever they should do at that given moment.”

South Barwon coach Mark Neeld speaks to his players at three-quarter time.

Captain Matt Caldow finished with a second five-goal haul for the season, while Fraser Fort moved to third on the goalkicking table with four majors.

Both benefited from quality ball use from further up the ground and made the most of Elderslie Reserve’s vast expanses.

“They really appreciated playing on a ground like Newtown today,” Neeld said.

Article continues after this ad

“As long as the forwards were moving …. they got some looks at the ball in one-on-one situations.”

Alex Pocock, who was swung forward in the final quarter, managed two goals.

However, Eagles leading goalkicker Luke Maddock didn’t register a shot at goal for the afternoon, and went back to defence, where he’s made his name in the GFNL, in the final term.

It was their biggest loss since being handed an 83-point hiding by Colac in Round 5, 2021.

Newtown & Chilwell coach Damien McMahon.
Article continues after this ad

Coach Damien McMahon spent considerable time with his staff behind closed doors before speaking to

“We were talking about how we get better and what to focus on,” he said.

“We don’t want a loss like that to define our season.

“We’ve got a week off with a bye next week, and it’s a good opportunity to regroup, learn from our errors today, look at what South did exceptionally well … (they) played a lot like we’d like to play, then get ourselves reset for the second half of the season.”

Following their bye, Newtown & Chilwell faces a tricky trip to Grovedale.

Article continues after this ad

South Barwon rounds out the first half of its season with a home meeting against Bell Park.


St Mary’s had 17 individual goalkickers as it handed St Albans a 208-point hiding at St Albans Reserve.

Young forward Lachy Peck was the standout, kicking eight goals in the 36.19 (235) to 4.3 (27) result, which lifted the Saints’ percentage to just shy of 300.

For the statistically minded, it was St Mary’s highest score and biggest winning margin over the Supersaints during the GFNL era.

Article continues after this ad

Geelong VFL-listed young gun Tobyn Murray stole the who with a seven-goal haul as Colac made light work of Geelong West at Central Reserve by 115 points, 25.18 (168) to 8.5 (53).

Dustin Walters also impressed with five goals, while Adam Garner also finished with five majors to maintain his lead on the GFNL goalkicking table.

Leopold bounced back from a disappointing performance against Bell Park the previous week to hand North Shore a 107-point hiding.

Connor Giddings’ radar was on target as he finished with six goals in the 21.12 (138) to 4.7 (31) result at Windsor Pak.

Debutants Lachie McLean and Oscar Morphet ensured it was a day to remember, with both kicking goals for the Lions.

Article continues after this ad

Nathan Arbon’s impressive first season for the Seagulls continued in finishing with three goals.

Five goals from off-season acquisition Tyler Pidgeon have highlighted a gritty Bell Park win over Grovedale at Hamlyn Park.

The Dragons led by just six points at halftime, but a 3.4 to 0.2 third quarter proved crucial in the 13.11 (89) to 9.7 (61) victory.

Star Tiger Mitch Chafer successfully returned from a long-term ankle injury, kicking three goals.

Former Rookie of the Year Tom Gillett also kicked three goals in his best return for the season.

Article continues after this ad

St Joseph’s overcame the latest of withdrawals by Ollie Hanneysee to see off Lara by 105 points.

Hanneysee pulled out of the Joeys’ team during the warm-up, and Lleyton Woolley—who kicked three goals in the reserves—got an unexpected call-up.

Oscar Morrison starred with seven goals, while Paddy DeGrandi contributed five majors in the 24.13 (157) to 7.10 (52) rout.

Zekiah Davey and Mitch Day kicked two goals apiece for the Cats.